The purpose of the Conservation Commission is to protect the wetlands, water resources, and adjoining land areas in the Town of Ashfield. The Commission administers the state wetland regulations by controlling activities deemed likely to have a significant or cumulative effect upon public or private water supply, groundwater, flood control, erosion and sedimentation control, storm damage prevention, water quality, water pollution control, fisheries, wildlife habitat, rare species habitat including rare plant species, agriculture, aquaculture, and recreation values, deemed important to the community
In general the jurisdiction of the Conservation Commission is any activity within:
- 200' of a year-round stream, brook or river
- 100' of a marsh, pond, flood plain or other wetland
All activities within the above listed areas require a review by the Conservation Commission before any work can begin.
Members of the Conservation Commission are appointed by the Select Board for a three year term.
The Conservation Commission meets monthly on the second and fourth Wednesday from January thru October. In November and December the Commission meets on the second Wednesday of the month only. All meetings start at 7:30 PM.
Minutes & Agendas
Current and past minutes and agendas are found on the Commission's "Minutes & Agenda" online folder.
- Instructions for Completing Application (WPA Form 1) - Request for Determination of Applicability (PDF). The application is in the forms section on this page. Available in PDF to be printed out and completed by hand. If preferred a Word document (DOC) version is available to be filled out and saved.
Other Conservation Commission documents if not listed on this page.
- Application to the Commission to determine if a permit filing is required (Doc) - This Microsoft Word version is available to be filled out and saved locally on your computer. It can be submitted thru email to the Commission.
- Application to the Commission to determine if a permit filing is required (PDF) - This PDF version is available to be printed out and completed by hand.
Other Conservation Commission forms if not listed on this page.